The AIF Project


Regimental number6594
Date of birth13 April 1891
Place of birthHawthorn, Victoria
ReligionRoman Catholic
Address74 Castlereagh Street, Sydney, New South Wales
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation25
Next of kinMother, Mrs A Sexton, Taku, MacArthur Street, Malvern, Victoria
Enlistment date8 May 1916
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name13th Battalion, 21st Reinforcement
AWM Embarkation Roll number23/30/4
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT A40 Ceramic on 7 October 1916
Rank from Nominal RollSergeant
Unit from Nominal Roll13th Battalion
Recommendations (Medals and Awards)

Distinguished Conduct Medal

Recommendation date: 13 August 1918

Victoria Cross

Recommendation date: 23 September 1918

FateReturned to Australia 27 October 1919
Miscellaneous details (Nominal Roll)Listed on Nominal Roll under BUCKLEY, Maurice Vincent.

Distinguished Conduct Medal

'For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. On four separate occasions his company was suddenly confronted by enemy machine gun fire. On each occasion this N.C.O. in charge of a Lewis gun section brought his gun into actioni with great promptitude, quickly silencing the opposition. On one occasion, in some tall crops, he stood up in full view of the enemy, firing form the hip until he had put the enemy machine gun out of action. Throughout the day he displayed initiative combined with coolness'
Source: 'Commonwealth Gazette' No. 36
Date: 14 March 1919

Victoria Cross

'For most conspicuous bravery during the attack near Le Verguier, north west of St. Quentin, on the 18th September, 1918. During the whole period of the advance, which was very seriously opposed, Sergeant Sexton was to the fore dealing with enemy machine guns, rushing enemy posts, and performing great feats of bravery and endurance without faltering or for a moment taking cover. When the advance had passed the ridge at Le Verguier, Sergeant Sexton's attention was directed to a party of the enemy manning a bank, and to a field gun causing casualties and holding up a company. Without hesitation, calling to his section to follow, he rushed down the bank and killed the gunners of the field gun. Regardless of machine gun fire, he returned to the bank and after firing down some dug outs induced about thrity of the enemy to surrender. When the advance was continued from the first to the second objective the company was again held up by machine guns on the flanks. Supported by another platoon, he disposed of the enemy guns, displaying boldness which inspired all. Later, he again showed the most conspicuous initiative in the capture of hostile posts and machine guns, and rendered invaluable support to his company digging in.'
Source: 'Commonwealth Gazette' No. 61
Date: 23 May 1919

Other details

War service: Western Front

Embarked Sydney, 7 October 1916; disembarked Plymouth, England, 21 November 1916.

Admitted to Devonport Hospital, 21 November 1916 (right knee: slight); transferred to 3rd Auxiliary Hospital, Dartford, 28 November 1916; to No 2 command Depot, Weymouth, 8 December 1916.

Proceeded overseas to France, 16 January 1917; joined 13th Bn, in the field, 21 January 1917.

Admitted to No 2 Australian Field Ambulance, 9 February 1917; transferred to No 4 Australian Field Ambulance, 24 February 1917 (blistered right heel); rejoined unit, in the field, 24 March 1917.

Found guilty, 19 June 1917, (1) of being absent without leave from 1.30 pm, 7 June, until apprenhended at 6 pm, 7 June 1917; (2) being absent without leave from 5 pm, 15 June, until 4 am, 16 June 1917: awarded 28 days' Field Punishment No 2, and forfeited a total of 29 days' pay.

Found guilty, 11 September 1917, of being absent without leave from Tattoo, 9.30 pm, till 10.30, 10 September 1917: awarded 10 days' Field Punishment No 2, and forfeited 10 days' pay.

On leave, 8 December 1917; rejoined unit from leave, 24 December 1917.

Appointed Lance Corporal, 31 January 1918; Temporary Corporal, 19 April 1918.

Wounded in action, 6 July 1918 (shell concussion), and admitted to 12th Australian Field Ambulance, and transferred to Casualty Clearing Station; rejoined unit, in the field, 8 July 1918.

Promoted Corporal, 27 June 1918; Lance Sergeant, 27 June 1918; Temporary Sergeant, 8 July 1918; Sergeant, 28 August 1918.

Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal.

On leave, 18 October 1918; rejoined unit from leave, 4 November 1918.

Awarded Victoria Cross.

Statutory Declaration, 25 March 1919, Hanzinelle, Belgium, declared that his true name was Maurice Vincent BUCKLEY.

Marched out to England for return to Australia, 29 April 1919.

Admitted to 1st Australian Dermatological Hospital, Bulford, 17 June 1919; absent without leave, 25 July 1919; apprehended in London, 1 August 1919; total period of treatment for venereal disease: 39 days.

Admitted to 1st Australian Dermatological Hospital, Bulford, 4 August 1919; discharged to No 2 Group, Sutton Veny, 30 August 1919; total period of treatment for venereal disease: 27 days.

Commenced return to Australia on board HT 'Raranga', 27 October 1919; disembarked Melbourne, 27 October 1919; discharged (medically unfit), 11 December 1919.

Medals: Victoria Cross, Distinguished Conduct Medal, 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal
Miscellaneous detailsTrue name: Maurice Vincent BUCKLEY
Date of death27 January 1921 result of accident
Age at death29
Place of burialBrighton Cemetery, Victoria
SourcesNAA: B2455, SEXTON Gerald

© The AIF Project 2024, UNSW Canberra. Not to be reproduced without permission.