|Place of birth||St Helens, Tasmania|
|School||State School, Tasmania|
|Religion||Church of England|
|Address||St Helens, Tasmania|
|Age at embarkation||24|
|Next of kin||Father, F Bailey, St Helens, Tasmania|
|Previous military service||Nil|
|Place of enlistment||Hobart, Tasmania|
|Rank on enlistment||Private|
|Unit name||12th Battalion, 11th Reinforcement|
|AWM Embarkation Roll number||23/29/3|
|Embarkation details||Unit embarked from Melbourne, Victoria, on board HMAT A11 Ascanius on
|Rank from Nominal Roll||Private|
|Unit from Nominal Roll||52nd Battalion|
|Fate||Killed in Action
|Place of death or wounding||Messines, Belgium|
|Place of burial||No known grave|
|Commemoration details||The Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial (Panel 29), Belgium
The Menin Gate Memorial (so named because the road led to the town of Menin) was constructed on the site of a gateway in the eastern walls of the old Flemish town of Ypres, Belgium, where hundreds of thousands of allied troops passed on their way to the front, the Ypres salient, the site from April 1915 to the end of the war of some of the fiercest fighting of the war.
The Memorial was conceived as a monument to the 350,000 men of the British Empire who fought in the campaign. Inside the arch, on tablets of Portland stone, are inscribed the names of 56,000 men, including 6,178 Australians, who served in the Ypres campaign and who have no known grave.
The opening of the Menin Gate Memorial on 24 July 1927 so moved the Australian artist Will Longstaff that he painted 'The Menin Gate at Midnight', which portrays a ghostly army of the dead marching past the Menin Gate. The painting now hangs in the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, at the entrance of which are two medieval stone lions presented to the Memorial by the City of Ypres in 1936.
Since the 1930s, with the brief interval of the German occupation in the Second World War, the City of Ypres has conducted a ceremony at the Memorial at dusk each evening to commemorate those who died in the Ypres campaign.
|Panel number, Roll of Honour,|
Australian War Memorial
|Family/military connections||Brothers: 10952 Pte Leslie Charles BAILEY, 5th Field Artillery Brigade, returned to Australia, 4 June 1919; 10954 Driver Edgar Sydney BAILEY, 5th Field Artillery Brigade, returned to Australia, 20 May 1919.|
War service: Egypt, Western Front
Admitted to 4th Auxiliary Hospital, Abbassia, 17 January 1916 (mumps); discharged to duty, 4 February 1916.
Allotted to and proceeded to join 52nd Bn, 3 March 1916.
Embarked Alexandria to join the British Expeditionary Force, 5 June 1916; disembarked Marseilles, France, 12 June 1916.
Wounded in action, 3 September 1916 (gun shot wound, right hand), and admitted to 1st Canadian Field Ambulance, nd then to Casualty Clearing Station; transferred to 8th Stationary Hospital, Wimereux, 4 September 1916; to No 1 Convalescent Depot, 7 September 1916; rejoined unit, in the field, 14 December 1916.
Detached to 5th Army Trench Mortar School, Valheureux, 24 February 1917; rejoined Bn from detachment.
Killed in action, 7 June 1917.Medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal
|Sources||NAA: B2455, BAILEY Arthur Ernest|