The AIF Project

John Edward GRAY

Regimental number16465
Place of birthTweed Heads, New South Wales
ReligionChurch of England
AddressTweed Heads, New South Wales
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation27
Height5' 6"
Weight150 lbs
Next of kinMother, Mrs Beatrice Gray, same address
Previous military serviceNil
Enlistment date8 July 1916
Place of enlistmentBrisbane, Queensland
Rank on enlistmentSapper
Unit nameDecember 1916 Reinforcements
AWM Embarkation Roll number14/42/2
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT A67 Orsova on 2 December 1916
Rank from Nominal RollLance Corporal
Unit from Nominal Roll2nd Field Company Engineers
FateReturned to Australia 16 June 1919
Discharge date12 September 1919
Family/military connectionsBrothers: 65066 Pte Andrew John GRAY, 8th Queensland Reinforcements, embarked, 7 November 1918; ship recalled owing to cessation of hostilities; 1644 Pte Robert William GRAY, 7th Light Horse Regiment, returned to Australia, 14 March 1919.
Other details

War service: Western Front

Embarked Sydney, 6 December 1916; disembarked Plymouth, England, 17 February 1919;marched in to Australian Details Camps 6 & 7, Perham Downs, 18 February 1917.

Marched in to Engineers Training Depot, Brightlingsea, 28 February 1917.

Proceeded overseas to France, 16 May 1917; taken on strength, 2nd Field Company Engineers, in the field, 23 May 1917.

Admitted to 2nd Field Ambulance, 30 January 1918; transferred to 55th General Hospital, Boulogne, 31 January 1918 (nephritis); to England, 9 February 1918, and admitted to Coombe Lodge Hospital, Great Warley; transferred to 3rd Auxiliary Hospital, Dartford, 25 February 1918; discharged on furlough, 11 March 1918, to report to No 3 Command Depot, Hurdcott, 25 March 1918.

Marched out to Overseas Training Brigade, Longbridge Deverill, 20 April 1918; to Engineers Training Depot, Brightlingsea, 3 May 1918.

Proceeded overseas to France, 18 July 1918; rejoined unit, 24 July 1918.

Wounded in action, 25 August 1918 (mustard gas), and admitted to 2nd Field Ambulance; transferred to 41st Casualty Clearing Station, 26 August 1918; to Ambulance Train, and admitted to 2nd General Hospital, 27 August 1918; to Australian Convalescent Depot, 29 August 1918; discharged to Base Details, 12 September 1918; rejoined unit, in the field, 21 September 1918.

On leave to Ostend, 26 March 1919; rejoined unit from leave, 1 April 1919.

Marched out to England for return to Australia, 24 April 1919.

Commenced return to Australia on board HT 'Ormonde', 16 June 1919; disembarked Sydney, 4 August 1919; discharged, Brisbane, 12 September 1919.

Medals: British War Medal, Victory Medal
Date of death12 February 1970
Place of burialTweed Heads Lawn Cemetery

Print format    

© The AIF Project 2024, UNSW Canberra. Not to be reproduced without permission.