The AIF Project

James Joseph HANCOCK

Regimental number26
Place of birthDublin, Ireland
ReligionRoman Catholic
OccupationLetterpress printer
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation22
Height5' 7.5"
Weight153 lbs
Next of kinMother, Mrs M Hancock, 16 South Dock Place, Ringsend, Ireland
Previous military serviceNil
Enlistment date14 December 1914
Place of enlistmentTownsville, Queensland
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name11th Light Horse Regiment, Headquarters
AWM Embarkation Roll number10/16/1
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Brisbane, Queensland, on board HMAT A7 Medic on 2 June 1915
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll11th Field Artillery Brigade
FateReturned to Australia 3 July 1919
Discharge date28 October 1919
Other details

War service: Egypt, Western Front

Taken on strength of 12th Light Horse Regiment, Gallipoli, 29 August 1915.

Disembarked Alexandria from HMT 'Ionian', 26 December 1915 (general Gallipoli evacuation); taken on strength of 11th Light Horse Regiment, Heliopolis, 22 February 1916. Transferred to 11th Field Artillery Brigade, Serapeum, 1 April 1916; posted to 41st Battery, 1 April 1916.

Embarked Alexandria on HMT 'Haverford' and proceeded to join the British Expeditionary Force, 1 June 1916.

Found guilty in the field, 30 July 1916, of being absent with out leave, 12.00 pm, 21 July, to 10.00 pm, 21 July 1916: awarded 3 days' Field Punishment No 2; forfeited total of 4 days' pay.

Admitted to Field Ambulance, 12 August 1916; transferred to 10th Stationary Hospital, St. Omer, 12 August 1916 (not yet determined); discharged to duty, 24 August 1916; rejoined unit from hospital, 25 August 1916.

Admitted to 8th Australian Field Ambulance, 30 November 1916 (bruised right leg); transferred to Divisional Receiving Station, 30 November 1916; to New Zealand Stationary Hospital, Amiens, 1 December 1916; to 39th Casualty Clearing Station, 2 December 1916 (dysentry); to Ambulance Train No 17, 5 December 1916; admitted to 2nd General Hospital, Havre, 6 December 1916.

Embarked Havre on HT 'Glenart Castle' and proceeded to England for further treatment, 20 December 1916; admitted to Acton University War Hospital, Southampton, 21 December 1916; transferred to Dysentry Convalescent Hospital, Barton-on-Sea, 23 February 1917; discharged on furlough, 14 March 1919. Marched into No 1 Command Depot, Perham Downs, 4 April 1917; reclassified B1.A, 5 April 1917; reclassified B1.A4, 12 June 1917.

Found guilty at Perham Downs, 30 June 1917, of being absent without leave, 11.00 am, 17 June, to 4.00 pm, 29 June 1917: awarded 7 days' Field Punishment No 2; forfeited total of 20 days' pay; reclassified A3, 4 July 1917; marched into RBAA, Larkhill, 6 July 1917.

Found guilty at Heytesbury, 18 December 1917, of disobedience in that he was found with a lighted candle in his hut after lights out had been sounded, 16 December 1917: awarded 5 days' Field Punishment No 2; proceeded to 42 Army training course, Aldershot, 28 January 1918; qualified from training course, 22 February 1918; attached for duty with Permanent Cadre of Reserve Brigade Australian Artillery, 9 May 1918; detached from duty with Permanent Cadre, 10 December 1918; marched into St Budeaux Camp, 13 December 1918; marched into 1st Training Bn, Sutton Veny, 21 February 1919; marched into No 2 Group, Sutton Veny, 8 April 1919.

Embarked Tilbury on HT 'Zelandic' and commenced return to Australia, 3 July 1919; disembarked Melbourne, 23 August 1919. Discharged, Brisbane, 28 October 1919.

Medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal

Print format