The AIF Project


Regimental number17038
Place of birthDublin, Ireland
ReligionChurch of England
AddressNorth Sydney, New South Wales
Marital statusMarried
Age at embarkation44
Height5' 10.5"
Weight191 lbs
Next of kinWife, Mrs A E Hanlon, 39 Whaling Road, North Sydney, New South Wales
Previous military serviceServed in Home Defence for 4 years.
Enlistment date30 March 1916
Place of enlistmentLiverpool, New South Wales
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit nameArmy Medical Corps February 1917 Reinforcements
AWM Embarkation Roll number26/99/2
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Melbourne, Victoria, on board HMAT A9 Shropshire on 11 May 1917
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll3rd Field Ambulance
FateReturned to Australia 31 July 1918
Discharge date16 November 1918
Other details

War service: Western Front

Embarked Melbourne on HMAT 'Shropshire', 11 May 1917; disembarked Plymouth, 19 July 1917; marched into Australian Army Medical Corps Training Depot, Parkhouse, 20 July 1917. Proceeded to France through Southampton, 16 September 1917; marched into Australian General Base Depot, Rouelles, 17 September 1917; moved into the field, 28 September 1917; taken on strength of 3rd Australian Field Ambulance, 30 September 1917; detailed to Le Nippe as Baggage Guard, 15 November 1917; rejoined unit from detachment, 25 December 1917.

Admitted to 1st Australian Divisional Receiving Station, 26 December 1917 (scabies); discharged to unit, 29 December 1917.

Admitted to hospital due to illness, 26 April 1918 (put under observation); transferred to St. Johns Ambulance Hospital, Etaples, 28 April 1918. Embarked on board HS 'Brighton' and proceeded to England for further treatment, 30 April 1918; admitted to 1st Australian Auxiliary Hospital, Fensham Hill, 1 May 1918 (trench fever); transferred to 3rd Australian Auxiliary Hospital, Dartford, 13 May 1918; discharged on furlough, 30 May 1918. Marched into No 4 Command Depot, Hurdcott, 30 May 1918; marched into No 2 Command Depot, Weymouth, 11 June 1918.

Embarked Plymouth on HT 'Malta' and commenced return to Australia, 31 July 1918; disembarked Melbourne, 28 September 1918, and continued overland to 2nd Military District. Discharged on account of being medically unfit for continued service, Sydney, 16 November 1918 (premature senility).

Medals: British War Medal, Victory Medal

Print format