The AIF Project


Regimental number5582
Place of birthLondonderry, Ireland
ReligionChurch of England
OccupationShop assistant
AddressBourke Street, Surry Hills, Sydney, New South Wales
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation30
Height5' 6"
Weight140 lbs
Next of kinFather, John James Harper, 19 Fairman Place, Londonderry, Ireland
Previous military serviceServed in the North Irish Horse (length of service not specified).
Enlistment date6 September 1915
Place of enlistmentWarwick Farm, New South Wales
Rank on enlistmentSapper
Unit name1st Field Company Engineers, Reinforcement 14
AWM Embarkation Roll number14/20/3
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT A54 Runic on 20 January 1916
Rank from Nominal RollLance Corporal
Unit from Nominal Roll13th Field Company Engineers
FateReturned to Australia 12 May 1919
Miscellaneous details (Nominal Roll)*Mathew spelt Matthew
Discharge date29 August 1919
Other details

War service: Egypt, Western Front

Embarked Sydney on HMAT 'Runic', 20 January 1916; disembarked Alexandria, 27 February 1916; taken on strength of 13th Field Company Engineers, Tel-el-Kebir, 6 March 1916.

Admitted to hospital, 4 April 1916; rejoined unit from hospital, 11 April 1916.

Admitted to hospital, 16 May 1916; rejoined unit from hospital, 22 May 1916.

Embarked Alexandria on HMT 'Oriana' and proceeded to join the British Expeditionary Force, 6 June 1916; disembarked Marseilles, France, 13 June 1916; appointed Lance Corporal, 12 August 1916; rank reverts to Sapper, 30 May 1917; detached to 1st Anzac Corps School, 6 November 1917; attached for duty with 13th Field Company Engineers, 9 November 1917; detached to unit, 15 December 1917.

Found guilty in the field, 17 December 1917, of conduct to the prejudice of good order and military discipline in that he failed to report to a superior officer when ordered, 8.00 pm, 15 December 1917: admonished by superior officer; rejoined unit in the field, 17 December 1917.

Found guilty in the field, 18 February 1917, of conduct to the prejudice of good order and military discipline in that he neglected to obey an order given by a superior officer, 16 December 1917: awarded 7 days' Field Punishment No 2; proceeded on leave to Paris, 17 January 1918; rejoined unit from leave, 25 January 1918.

Admitted to 12th Australian Field Ambulance, 30 April 1918, and transferred to 61st Casualty Clearing Station (shrapnel wound, right arm and thigh); to Ambulance Train '14', 2 May 1918; admitted to 4th General Hospital, 3 May 1918. Embarked on board SS 'Princess Elizabeth' nd proceeded to England for further treatment, 5 May 1918; admitted to Herne Bay Military Hospital, 5 May 1918; transferred to 3rd Auxiliary Hospital, Dartford, 15 May 1918; discharged to No 3 Command Depot, Hurdcott, 29 May 1918; marched into No 4 Command Depot, Hurdcott, 1 June 1918.

Found guilty at Hurcott, 29 June 1918, of being absent without leave, 10.00 pm, 28 June, to 9.45 pm, 29 June 1918: awarded dismissed, 1 July 1918; marched into Longbridge Overseas Training Brigade, Deverill, 8 July 1918; marched into Engineers Training Depot, Belingsea, 19 July 1918.

Proceeded to France through Folkestone, 15 September 1918; marched into Australian General Base Depot, Havre, 18 September 1918; moved into the field, 22 September 1918; rejoined 13th Field Company Engineers, 23 September 1918.

Taken ill in the field, 18 February 1919; admitted to 13th Australian Field Ambulance, 19 February 1919 (influenza); discharged to unit, 22 February 1919; moved into from the field, 21 March 1919. Embarked Havre and proceeded to England, 31 March 1919; disembarked Weymouth, 1 April 1919, and marched into No 4 Command Depot, Hurdcott.

Commenced return to Australia on board HT 'Port Napier', 12 May 1919; disembarked Sydney, 4 July 1919. Discharged Sydney, 29 August 1919.

Medals: British War Medal, Victory Medal

Print format