The AIF Project

James Oliver HEFFERNAN

Regimental number3001
Place of birthTenterfield, New South Wales
ReligionRoman Catholic
AddressTenterfield, New South Wales
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation21
Height5' 11"
Weight162 lbs
Next of kinFather, William Heffernan, Mole River, New South Wales
Previous military serviceNil
Enlistment date30 March 1916
Place of enlistmentTenterfield, New South Wales
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name1st Light Horse Regiment, 22nd Reinforcement
AWM Embarkation Roll number10/6/5
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT A13 Katuna on 23 November 1916
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll1st Light Horse Regiment
FateReturned to Australia 13 March 1919
Discharge date6 September 1919
Family/military connectionsBrother: 3002 Pte Thomas HEFFERNAN, 1st Light Horse Regiment, returned to Australia, 21 May 1917.
Other details

War service: Egypt, Palestine

Embarked Sydney, 23 November 1916; disembarked Suez, 2 January 1917, and marched into Isolation Camp, Moascar.

Taken on strength, 1st Light Horse Training Regiment, 22 January 1917.

Transferred to 1st Light Horse Regiment, 26 January 1917.

Detached to School of Instruction, 7 August 1917; rejoined unit from School of Instruction, 19 August 1917.

Admitted to 66th Casualty Clearing Station, in the field, 11 May 1918; transferred to 75th Casualty Clearing Station, 14 May 1918; to 36th Stationary Hospital, Gaza, 14 May 1918 (abrasions and concussion, head face and shoulder; slight cerebral concussion. Patient unconscious at time. Caused by fall from horse. Not serious. Was on military duty; was not to blame; no one else to blame. Accident on the march from Jericho to Talat ed Dumm, just past Jericho); to Hospital Train, 18 May 1918, and admitted to 44th Stationary Hospital; to 31st General Hospital, Cairo, 19 May 1918; discharged to 1st Light Horse Training Regiment, Moascar, 6 June 1918.

To School of Instruction, El Arish, 23 June 1918; rejoined 1st Light Horse Training Regiment, 16 July 1918; rejoined 1st Light Horse Regiment, in the field, 25 July 1918.

Admitted to 1st Light Horse Field Ambulance, 6 October 1918 (pyrexia, unknown origin); transferred to 66th Casualty Clearing Station, 9 October 1918; to 47th Stationary Hospital, 14 October 1918; to 1st Auxiliary Hospital, 15 October 1918; to 14th Australian General Hospital, Abbassia, 18 January 1919; discharged to Convalescent Depot, Boulac, 18 January 1919; discharged to Depot, Moascar, 28 January 1919; rejoined unit, in the field, 6 February 1919.

Commenced return to Australia from Kantara on board HT 'Ulimaroa', 13 March 1919; arrived Melbourne, 19 April 1919, for onward travel to Sydney; discharged, Sydney (medically unfit), 6 September 1919.

Print format