|Place of birth||Coolgardie, Western Australia|
|Religion||Church of England|
|Address||Hunt Street, Montana, Coolgardie, Western Australia|
|Age at embarkation||19|
|Next of kin||Mother, Mrs Mary Jane Leehy, Hunt Street, Montana, Coolgardie, Western Australia|
|Previous military service||Served in the Senior Cadets, Coolgardie area; left the distrtict.|
|Place of enlistment||Helena Vale, Western Australia|
|Rank on enlistment||Sergeant|
|Unit name||28th Battalion, C Company|
|AWM Embarkation Roll number||23/45/1|
|Embarkation details||Unit embarked from|
|Two ships sailed from Fremantle carrying men from the 28th Battalion Headquarters, and Companies A, B, C and D. From embarkation records it is not possible to distinguish exactly which ship each man sailed on. They are: 30 officers and 982 others embarked at Fremantle, Western Australia, on HMAT A11, 'Ascanius', on 29 June 1915 and 12 others embarked at Fremantle, Western Australia, on HMAT A36, 'Thirty-Six, on 12 July 1916.|
|Rank from Nominal Roll||Sergeant|
|Unit from Nominal Roll||28th Battalion|
|Fate||Died of wounds
|Age at death from cemetery records||20|
|Place of burial||No known grave|
|Commemoration details||The Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial (Panel 23), Belgium
The Menin Gate Memorial (so named because the road led to the town of Menin) was constructed on the site of a gateway in the eastern walls of the old Flemish town of Ypres, Belgium, where hundreds of thousands of allied troops passed on their way to the front, the Ypres salient, the site from April 1915 to the end of the war of some of the fiercest fighting of the war.
The Memorial was conceived as a monument to the 350,000 men of the British Empire who fought in the campaign. Inside the arch, on tablets of Portland stone, are inscribed the names of 56,000 men, including 6,178 Australians, who served in the Ypres campaign and who have no known grave.
The opening of the Menin Gate Memorial on 24 July 1927 so moved the Australian artist Will Longstaff that he painted 'The Menin Gate at Midnight', which portrays a ghostly army of the dead marching past the Menin Gate. The painting now hangs in the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, at the entrance of which are two medieval stone lions presented to the Memorial by the City of Ypres in 1936.
Since the 1930s, with the brief interval of the German occupation in the Second World War, the City of Ypres has conducted a ceremony at the Memorial at dusk each evening to commemorate those who died in the Ypres campaign.
|Panel number, Roll of Honour,|
Australian War Memorial
|Miscellaneous information from|
|Parents: George and Mary Jane KENNEDY, Montana, Coolgardie, Western Australia|
|Family/military connections||Step-father: 4241 Pte Patrick LEEHY, 11th Bn, killed in action, 25 July 1916.|
War service: Egypt, Gallipoli, Western Front
Embarked Alexandria with Bn for Gallipoli, 4 September 1915. Admitted to 7th Field Ambulance, 15 October 1915 (enteric); transferred to 15th Casualty Clearing Station, 16 October 1915; embarked HS 'Delta' for Alexandria, 16 October 1915; admitted to 21st General Hospital, Alexandria, 20 October 1915; transferred to Montasah Red Cross Convalescent Camp, 6 December 1915; to Helouan Convalescent Camp, 6 January 1916; discharged to duty, 14 January 1916.
Embarked Alexandria, 2 june 1916; disembarked Plymouth, England, 12 June 1916.
Found guilty, 14 August 1916, of being absent without leave from 2400, 13 August, until reporting at 1300, 14 August 1916: reprimaned, and forfeited 1 day's pay.
Promoted Acting Company Sergeant Major, 18 November 1916; reverted to rank of Sergeant, 5 January 1917.
Proceeded overseas to France (date not recorded); rejoined Bn, 3 March 1917.
Died of wounds received in action, Belgium, 20 September 1917.Medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal