The AIF Project

Stanley Byfield KING

Regimental number76
Place of birthTasmania
Address137 Turnbull Street, Hobart, Tasmania
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation19
Height5' 11"
Weight168 lbs
Next of kinMother, Mrs Lucy Pierman, Hobart, Tasmania
Previous military serviceNil
Enlistment date24 June 1915
Place of enlistmentBrisbane, Queensland
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name31st Battalion, Headquarters
AWM Embarkation Roll number23/48/1
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Melbourne, Victoria, on board HMAT A62 Wandilla on 9 November 1915
From Embarkation Records it is not possible to distinguish exactly which ship an individual in the Headquarters embarked. Two ships left Melbourne carrying men from the 31st Battalion: HMAT A62 Wandilla on 9 November 1915 and HMAT A41 Bakara on 5 November 1915
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll31st Battalion
FateKilled in Action 20 July 1916
Place of burialNo known grave
Commemoration detailsV.C. Corner (Panel No 3), Australian Cemetery Memorial, Fromelles, France
Panel number, Roll of Honour,
  Australian War Memorial
Miscellaneous information from
  cemetery records
Son of Louise PERRIMAN (formerly KING), 226 Bathurst Street, Hobart, Tasmania, and the late Charles KING. Native of Stanley
Other details

War service: Egypt, Western Front

Disembarked Suez, ex-HMT 'Wandilla', 7 December 1915.

Admitted to No 8 Field Ambulance, Serapeum, 12 January 1916 (sprained ankle); discharged to, and rejoined unit, 23 January 1916.

Embarked Alexandria to join the British Expeditionary Force, 16 June 1916; disembarked Marseilles, France, 23 June 1916.

Reported missing, 20 July 1916.

Court of Enquiry, held in the field, 20 July 1916, pronounced fate as 'Killed in Action, 20 July 1916'.

Note on file: 'Buried in the vicinity of Fleurbaix, Sh.36 N.W.'

Statement, Red Cross File No 1520214, 79 Corporal W. LYNN, 31st Bn (patient, Kitchener's Hospital, Brighton, England), 3 April 1917: 'Informant states that on July 20th at Fleurbaix Pte King was killed by a shell on his way up to the Front line of trenches, he was killed instantly. The time was 3.30. p.m. and the ground was lost. Informant was not an eye-witness but saw him a few minutes after his death.'

Second sttement, 6 Sergeant J.A. IRVING, 31st Bn, 5 July 1917: 'I saw Casualty in a dying condition on the 21st July at Fleurbaix between the support trench and the front line. He was smothered in blood. He was not able to speak to me. He was not quite dead at the time and was being carried by the S.B. There was no possible chance of his recovery. I heard next day that he was dead. I did not see the body.'

Note on file: 'No trace Germany. Cert. by Capt. Mills. 10.10.19.'

Medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal
SourcesNAA: B2455, KING Stanley Byfield
Red Cross file 1520214

Print format