The AIF Project


Regimental number3447
Place of birthOaklands, Tasmania
ReligionRoman Catholic
AddressMoonah, Tasmania
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation18
Height5' 3.5"
Weight126 lbs
Next of kinFather, John William Lockwood, Moonah, Tasmania
Previous military serviceServed for 2 years in the Senior Cadets, 93rd Infantry; still serving at time of AIF enlistment.
Enlistment date7 May 1917
Place of enlistmentClaremont, Tasmania
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name40th Battalion, 8th Reinforcement
AWM Embarkation Roll number23/57/2
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT A20 Hororata on 14 June 1917
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll40th Battalion
FateReturned to Australia 22 September 1919
Discharge date9 December 1919
Other details

War service: Western Front

Embarked Sydney, 14 June 1917; disembarked Liverpool, England, 26 August 1917.

Admitted to Military Hospital, Parkhouse, 27 August 1917 (mumps); discharged to Training Depot, 19 September 1917, and marched in to 10th Training Bn. Durrington.

Found guilty, 18 October 1917, of being absent without leave from Sutton Mandeville Camp from 8.30 am, 16 October, till 10 pm, 17 October 1917: awarded 7 days confined to barracks, and forfeited 2 days' pay.

Found guilty, 8 December 1917, of being absent without leave from Sutton Mandeville Camp from Reveille, 6 December, till 5 pm, 7 December 1917: awarded 4 days' Field Punishment No 2, and forfeited 6 days' pay.

Found guilty, Sutton Mandeville, 7 January 1918, of neglecting to obey an order given by a Superior Officer: awarded forfeiture of 2 days' pay.

Proceeded overseas to France, 8 January 1918; taken on strength, 40th Bn, in the field, 18 January 1918.

Admitted to 10th Australian Field Ambulance, 4 February 1918 (influenza); transferred to No 2 Australian Casualty Clearing Station, 21 February 1918 (trench fever); to Ambulance Train No 25, 23 February 1918, and admitted to 5th General Hospital; transferred to 6th Convalescent Depot, 1 March 1918; to 5th Convalescent Depot, Cayeux, 6 March 1918; to Base Depot, Rouelles, 26 March 1918; rejoined Bn, in the field, 17 May 1918.

On 14 days' special leave to England, 31 May 1918; rejoined Bn from leave, 22 June 1918.

Admitted to 11th Field Ambulance, 7 August 1918 (diarrhoea), and transferred same day to 5th Casualty Clearing Station, and then to Ambulance Train; admitted to 2nd Canadian General Hospital, Wimereux, 8 August 1918; transferred to England, 19 August 1918, and admitted to Bath War hospital, 20 August 1918 (debility); discharged on furlough, 27 September 1918, to report to No 2 Command Depot, Weymouth, 11 October 1918.

Found guilty, 12 October 1918, of being absent without leave from 10 am, 11 October, until 10 am, 12 October 1918: awarded forfeiture of 2 days' pay; total forfeiture, 3 days' pay.

Marched out to No 1 Command Depot, Sutton Veny, 24 October 1918.

Broke camp, 11 January 1919; declared an illegal absentee as from 6 February 1919 by Court of Enquiry held at No 1 Command Depot, 28 February 1919.

Tried by District Court Martial, Warwick Square, London, 21 August 1919, on charge of being absent without leave from 9 am, 6 February, until he surrendered himself to the Military Authorities in London at 5.30 pm, 15 August: found guilty; sentenced to 6 months' detention.

Admitted to Lewes Detention Barracks, 26 August 1919; discharged to HT 'Port Sydney', 22 September 1919, for return to Australia.

Commenced return to Australia on board HT 'Port Sydney', 22 September 1919; disembarked Melbourne, 12 November 1919; discharged, Hobart, 9 December 1919.
Date of death16 December 1963
Place of burialCarr Villa Cemetery
SourcesNAA: B2455, LOCKWOOD Augustus

Print format    

© The AIF Project 2023, UNSW Canberra. Not to be reproduced without permission.