The AIF Project

Arthur Roy McLEAY

Regimental number1369
Place of birthBurraga, New South Wales
ReligionChurch of England
OccupationRailway porter
AddressPolice Station, Peak Hill, New South Wales
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation20
Height5' 10.5"
Weight164 lbs
Next of kinFather, John McLeay, Police Station, Peak Hill, New South Wales
Previous military serviceNil
Enlistment date15 February 1915
Place of enlistmentLiverpool, New South Wales
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name17th Battalion, D Company
AWM Embarkation Roll number23/34/1
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board Transport A32 Themistocles on 12 May 1915
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll5th Field Ambulance
FateReturned to Australia 2 January 1919
Discharge date16 April 1919
Family/military connectionsBrother: 1977 Bombardier Reginald Stanley McLEAY, 5th Divisional Ammunition Column, returned to Australia, 15 May 1919.
Other details

War service: Egypt, Gallipoli, Western Front

Admitted to A&NZ Convalescent Hospital, Helouan, 4 August 1915 (dysentery).

Transferred to hospital, Gallipoli, 1 October 1915; admitted to HS 'Maheno', 30 September 1915 (furuculosis); transferred to No 1 Auxiliary Hospital, Heliopolis, 5 October 1915 (boils in ear); to No 1 Australian General Hospital, Heliopolis, 8 October 1915; transferred to A&NZ Convalescent Depot, Helouan, 12 October 1915; discharged to duty, 20 October 1915.

Embarked Alexandria to rejoin Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, 4 November 1918; rejoined unit, Gallipoli, 18 November 1915.

Admitted to hospital, Gallipoli, 30 November 1918; rejoined unit, 13 December 1915 (no further details recorded).

Disembarked Alexandria from Mudros, 9 January 1916 (general Gallipoli evacuation).

Admitted to Isolation Hospital, 15 January 1916; returned to duty, 29 January 1916.

Embarked Alexandria to join the British Expeditionary Force, 17 March 1916; disembarked Marseilles, France, 23 March 1916.

Wounded in action, 28 July 1916 (gun shot wound, inner side, right thigh), and admitted to 20th General Hospital, Camiers, 28 July 1916; transferred to England, and admitted to Rust Hall VAD Hospital (flesh wound); marched in to No 1 Command Depot, Perham Downs, 2 October 1916.

Granted furlough, 3 October 1916; marched in to No 1 Command Depot from furlough, 19 October 1916.

Marched in to Australian Army Medical Corps Training Depot, Perham Downs, 22 February 1917.

Marched to No 4 Command Depot, Wareham, 15 March 1917.

Transferred to 16th Fiekld Ambulance, 19 March 1917; attached to 61st Bn as AAMC Details, 17 June 1917.

Marched out to Overseas Training Brigade, Longbridge Deverill, 19 October 1917.

Marched out to AAMC Training Depot, Parkhouse, 5 november 1917.

Proceeded overseas to France, 28 November 1917; taken on strength, 5th Field Ambulance, in the field, 31 December 1917.

Detached as Ambulance Detail to 5th Field Artillery Brigade, 11 February 1918; rejoined 5th Field Ambulance from detachment, 14 May 1918.

Admitted to 5th Field Ambulance, 24 May 1918 (pyrexia, unknown origin), and transferred to 20th Casualty Clearing Station; to Ambulance Train, 26 May 1918, and admitted to 7th Canadian General Hospital, Etaples, 27 May 1918; transferred to England, 3 June 1918, and admitted to Graylingwell War Hospital, Chichester, 5 June 1918; discharged to No 3 Australian Auxiliary Hospital, Dartford, 26 July 1918.

Marched in to No 3 Command Depot, Hurdcott, from hospital, 26 July 1918.

Detached for duty to No 1 Group Clearing Hospital, Sutton Veny, 21 September 1918.

Detachment ceased, and marched out to Reserve Brigade Australian Artillery, Heytesbury, 7 December 1918.

Commenced return to Australia on board HT 'Berrima', 2 January 1919; arrived Melbourne, 17 February 1919, for onward travel by boat to Sydney; discharged (termination of period of enlistment), Sydney, 16 April 1919.

Medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal
SourcesNAA: B2455, McLEAY Arthur Roy

Print format