The AIF Project

Henry NASH

Regimental number1799
Place of birthMelbourne, Victoria
ReligionChurch of England
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation20
Height5' 7.5"
Weight116 lbs
Next of kinFather, E. Nash, Quiamong Street, Camago, Deniliquin, New South Wales
Previous military serviceNil
Enlistment date5 January 1915
Place of enlistmentRutherglen, Victoria
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name7th Battalion, 4th Reinforcement
AWM Embarkation Roll number23/24/2
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Melbourne, Victoria, on board HMAT A18 Wiltshire on 14 April 1915
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll7th Battalion
FateReturned to Australia 23 September 1919
Discharge date10 April 1920
Other details


Joined 7th Bn, Gallipoli Peninsula, 26 May 1915.

Admitted to No 3 Field Ambulance, Anzac, 2 August 1915; transferred to No 1 Australian Casualty Clearing Station, Anzac, 3 August 1915; to HS 'Ionian', 3 August 1915 (diarrhoea); to No 2 General Hospital, Ghezireh, Cairo, 9 August 1915; to Mena Convalescent Depot, Cairo, 14 September 1915; to Australia and New Zealand Convalescent Depot, Helouan, 23 September 1915; discharged to light duties, 28 September 1915.

Admitted to No 1 Auxiliary Hospital, Heliopolis, 7 October 1915 (pains in back); transferred to Australia and New Zealand Convalescent Depot, Helouan, 25 October 1915 (rheumatism); marched into 2nd Training Bn, Zeitoun, 19 November 1915.

Marched into Overseas Training Base, Cairo, 6 January 1916.

Found guilty, 31 January 1916, of being absent from 0700 hours, until 1400 hours, 30 January 1916: award, forfeits 1 day's pay.

Rejoined unit, Serapeum, 5 March 1916.

Embarked Alexandria to join the British Expeditionary Force, 26 March 1916; disembarked Marseilles, France, 31 March 1916.

Tried by Field General Court Martial, 29 April 1916, on charges of (1) while on active service drunkenness in that he on the night of 16 April was drunk (2) while on active service using insubordinate language to his superior officer in that on 16 April 1916 said to Corporal Milroy, "You are a lying fucking bastard"; (3) while on active service conduct to the prejudice of good order and military discipline in that he on 16 April 1916, urinated in a sleeping hut in "B" Company lines; Found guilty on all charges: awarded 60 days' Field Punishment No 2; confirmed by Brigadier General Foreyth, 4 May 1916, with 30 days' remitted.

Found guilty, 12 June 1916, of being absent from billet without permission, 10 June 1916: awarded 10 days' Field Punishment No 2.

Found guilty, 17 July 1916, of being absent without leave from 1400 hours, until 2000 hours, 6 July 1916 (charges of disobedience of order of his superior officer and threatening language to and NCO were struck out): awarded 14 days' Field Punishment No 2.

Admitted to No 3 Casualty Clearing Station, 24 July 1916 (shell shock); transferred to No 12 General Hospital, Rouen, 26 July 1916; discharged to duty, 29 July 1916; marched into 1st Australian Divisional Base Depot, Etaples, 12 August 1916.

Proceeded to unit, 4 September 1916; rejoined unit, 6 September 1916.

Mentioned in Dispatches, 3 October 1916, for actions in a trench raid on 30 September 1916.

Tried by Field General Court Martial, 24 March 1917, on charges of (1) being absent without leave from 1 November 1916, until 8 November 1916; (2) while on active service and in confinement, escaping in that on 23 January 1917 escaped from guard room and custody of guard; found guilty on all charges: awarded 3 years' penal servitude; confirmed by Brigadier General J Heane, 2nd Infantry Bde, and commuted to 2 years' imprisonment with hard labour.

Admitted to Abancourt to serve sentence, 14 May 1917.

Unexpired portion of sentence suspended, 21 April 1918, and discharged to unit the same day; rejoined unit, 27 April 1918.

Injuried, 9 June 1918 (wilfully self-inflicted gunshot wound, left forearm); admitted to No 3 Australian Field Ambulance, 10 June 1918, and transferred to No 15 Casualty Clearing Station the same day; to 2nd Army Special Hospital, 11 June 1918; discharged to duty, 25 July 1918; total period of treatment for self-inflicted wound: 46 days.

Tried by Field General Court Martial, 9 June 1918, on charge of wilfully wounding himself in the left arm with a rifle; found guilty: awarded 15 months' imprisonment with hard labour; confirmed by Major General Chichester, 2nd Army, 26 June 1918.

Admitted to No 5 Military Prison, 2 August 1918.

Unexpired portion of suspended sentence of 2 years' imprisonment with hard labour ordered to be put into execution and to run concurrently with sentence of 15 months' imprisonment with hard labour, 27 June 1918.

Admitted to No 30 General Hospital, Calais, 16 August 1918 (not yet diagnosed); transferred to No 51 General Hospital, Etaples, 20 August 1918 (venereal disease: gonorrhoea); discharged, 24 August 1918; admitted to No 2 Military Prison, 25 August 1918.

Admitted to No 10 General Hospital, Rouen, 26 September 1918 (diarrhoea); discharged and readmitted to No 2 Military Prison, 4 December 1918.

Transferred to England, 29 June 1919.

Commenced return to Australia on board HT 'Ascanius', 23 September 1919, and unexpired portion of sentence remitted.

Posted as absent without leave, Capetown, 13 October 1919, and failed to re-embark before ship's departure at 1645 hours; reported to AIF Depot at 1800 hours, 13 October 1919, and placed under close arrest.

Found guilty, 14 October 1919, of (1) conduct to the prejudice of good order and military discipline in that be failed to be on board his ship; (2) being absent without leave from 1500 hours, until 1800 hours, 13 October 1919: awarded 168 hours' detention and forfeits 28 days' pay.

Embarked on HT 'Port Sydney' while still in detention, 15 October 1919.

Disembarked Melbourne, 12 November 1919; discharged (termination of period of enlistment), 10 April 1920.

Deemed not eligible for medals, 2 March 1922.
Date of death27 November 1933
SourcesNAA: B2455, NASH Henry

Print format    

© The AIF Project 2024, UNSW Canberra. Not to be reproduced without permission.