The AIF Project

George Henry NEALE

Regimental number3959
Place of birthLeicester England
ReligionChurch of England
AddressAdelaide, South Australia
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation22
Height5' 4"
Weight157 lbs
Next of kinMother, Mrs Emma Neale, 186 Charnwood Street, Leicester, England
Previous military serviceServed for 9 months in the Special Reserve, Leicester Regiment, England (purchased discharge).
Enlistment date21 October 1915
Date of enlistment from Nominal Roll20 October 1915
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name27th Battalion, 9th Reinforcement
AWM Embarkation Roll number23/44/3
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Adelaide, South Australia, on board HMAT A28 Miltiades on 7 February 1916
Rank from Nominal RollDriver
Unit from Nominal Roll2nd Division Cycle Corps
FateReturned to Australia 3 March 1919
Discharge date15 June 1919
Other details

War service: enlisted, 20 August 1914, No. 842; acting rank of Driver, 4th Company, Army Service Corps, 20-31 August 1914; rank confirmed, 31 August-25 September 1914. Transferred to No. 4 Company, 3rd Light Horse Regiment, 26 September 1914. Discharged from the AIF without leaving Australia: no further details available from service records.

Re-enlisted in the AIF (No. 3959), 21 October 1915; embarked from Australia, 7 February 1916.

Embarked Alexandria to join the British Expeditionary Force, 19 March 1916; disembarked Marseilles, France, 30 March 1916.

Found guilty of failing to obey an order of a superior, 16 April 1916: sentenced to 4 days' Field Punishment No. 2.

Taken on strength, 1st Anzac Cyclist Bn, 12 May 1916.

Admitted to 3rd NZ Field Ambulance, 29 June 1916 (diptheria); transferred to 15th Casualty Clearing Station; reported back from hospital and remained attached to 1st Anzac Corps Cyclists Bn, 21 July 1916.

Found guilty of being absent from Tattoo on 6 August 1916, and for using a bicycle without permission: awarded 7 days' Field Punishment No. 2, 29 September 1916.

Transferred to 4th Australian Ammunition Sub Park, 18 October 1916, and taken on strength of 4th Army Service Corps. Admitted to 6th Field Ambulance, with psoriasis, 10 November 1916; discharged, 12 November 1916, and rejoined unit.

Awarded 7 days' confinement to camp and forfeiture of 2 days' pay for being absent without leave, 8 December 1916.

In hospital with influenza, 10-17 December 1916.

Transferred to 12th Field Artillery Brigade ('K' Ammunition Park), 7 April 1917; appointed Motor Transport Driver, 8 April 1917.

Awarded 28 days' Field Punishment No. 2 for falsely claiming leave entitlements.

Granted leave to United Kingdom, 26 October-5 November 1917. Overstayed leave one day: awarded forfeiture of 1 day's pay, 9 November 1917.

Admitted to hospital, 20 November 1917, 20 November 1917; transferred to 5th Field Ambulance for eye test (glasses broken), 22 November 1917; rejoined unit, 27 November 1917.

Admitted to 13th Field Ambulance (defective vision), 6 March 1918; discharged to duty, 7 March 1918. Admitted to 11th Canadian Field Ambulance (mental condition: not yet diagnosed), 5 April 1918; transferred to 23rd Casualty Clearing Station, 8 April 1918; admitted to 8th Stationary Hospital, Wimereux; 9 April 1918; invalided to England and admitted to Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley, 20 April 1918. Transferred to Lord Derby War Hospital, Warrington, for mental observation, 26 April 1918; transferred to 3rd Auxiliary Hospital, Dartford, 20 December 1918. Discharged from hospital, granted furlough, and ordered to march in to No. 2 Command Depot, Weymouth, 27 January 1919.

Embarked for Australia on board 'Euripides', 3 March 1919; arrived at Melbourne, 20 April 1919; discharged, Brisbane, on the grounds of being medically unfit (disability: neurasthenia), 15 June 1919.

Medals: British War Medal, Victory Medal
Date of death1 May 1960

Print format