The AIF Project

Arthur Haldane SCOTT

Regimental number956
Date of birth1885
Place of birthWaverley, Sydney, New South Wales
OccupationShipping customs clerk
AddressSeymour Road, Elsternwick, Victoria
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation27
Next of kinFather, Arthur Scott, Seymour Road, Elsternwick, Victoria
Enlistment date17 August 1914
Date of enlistment from Nominal Roll19 August 1914
Rank on enlistmentGunner
Unit nameField Artillery Brigade 2, Battery 4
AWM Embarkation Roll number13/30/1
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Melbourne, Victoria, on board Transport A9 Shropshire on 20 October 1914
Rank from Nominal RollCorporal
Unit from Nominal Roll2nd Field Artillery Brigade
FateReturned to Australia 19 February 1919

Military Medal

'On the night of 31st October/1st November 1917 during the very heavy Gas and Heavy Artillery Bombardment of ANZAC RIDGE, N.E. of WESTHOEK, a dugout at the battery position was hit by a Gas shell. These N.C.O.s [SCOTT and 4856 Sergeant Edward Chester CHENNEY] at once - regardless of the following shells - dug out three men who had been buried, two of whom were dead. The third they put on a Stretcher and carried him through the heavy barrage to an Aid Post, but on arrival he was found to be dead. These N.C.O.s showed great personal courage and set a splendid example in their heroic attempt to save these man's lives - regardless of their own safety.'
Source: 'Commonwealth Gazette' No. 95
Date: 27 June 1918

Discharge date17 July 1919
Other details

War service: joined the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, Alexandria, 8 April 1915; transferred to rest camp, Gallipoli, 17 July 1915; promoted Bombardier, 26 September 1915. Dangerously ill, admitted to No 4 Auxiliary Hospital, Cairo (meningitis), 3 January 1916; taken off dangerously ill list, 11 January 1916; transferred to No 2 Auxiliary Hospital, 14 February 1916; commenced return to Australia on board SS 'Argyllshire' (meningitis), 30 March 1916; transferred to full duty, Maribyrnong, 20 June 1916.

Serving in 25th Howitzer Brigade, 10 July 1916; proceeded overseas to France, to join 2nd Field Artillery Brigade, ex Training Depot, Parkhouse, 19 November 1916. Admitted to hospital in France, 5 December 1916; discharged from hospital 17 January 1917. Promoted Corporal 4 July 1917.

Wounded in action (gas), Belgium, 7 November 1917; evacuated to England, 15 November 1917; admitted to General Hospital, Plymouth, 16 November 1917. On furlough, 12 December 1917.

Awarded Military Medal for bravery in the field, 15 December 1917.

Returned from furlough 30 December 1917. Embarked ex Southampton for France, 7 March 1918; marched in to Rouelles, 10 March, and transferred to 1st Division Artillery, 12 March 1918; rejoined 2nd Field Artillery Brigade, 22 March 1918. Promoted Temporary Sergeant, 5 April 1918; reverted to Corporal, 7 May 1918. Detached to 15th Corps, 21 June 1918; rejoined unit 5 July 1918. Granted 8 days' leave to Paris, 1 November 1918; rejoined from leave, 15 November 1918; disembarked at Folkestone from France, for duty at R.B.A.A., Heytesbury, 4 December 1918; embarked at Liverpool on board HMT 'Orca' for return to Australia, 19 February 1919. Admitted to ship's hospital while at sea, 15 March 1919; discharged from hospital, 22 March 1919; disembarked Melbourne, 31 March 1919; discharged 17 July 1919.

Medals: Military Medal, 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal

Print format