The AIF Project

Errol Thomas SMITH

Regimental number4303
Place of birthBatemans Bay New South Wales
ReligionRoman Catholic
OccupationTelegraph operator
AddressClifton, South Coast, New South Wales
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation21
Height5' 6"
Weight122 lbs
Next of kinFather, T Smith, Clifton South Coast, New South Wales
Previous military serviceNil (exempt owing to profession - relieving telegraph operator on railway)
Enlistment date14 September 1915
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name3rd Battalion, 13th Reinforcement
AWM Embarkation Roll number23/20/3
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT A60 Aeneas on 20 December 1915
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll2nd Battalion
FateReturned to Australia 5 April 1919
Discharge date4 July 1919
Other details

War service: Egypt, Western Front

Taken on strength, 2nd Bn, Tel el Kebir, 14 February 1916.

Proceeded from Alexandria to join the British Expeditionary Force, 22 March 1916; disembarked Marseilles, 28 March 1916.

Found guilty, 3 July 1916, of (1) disobedience to orders, (2) overstaying leave, 1200-1700, 1 July 1916: awarded 14 days confined to barracks.

Wounded in action, Pozieres, France, 22 July 1916 (gun shot wound, leg, and shock); admitted to No. 3 General Hospital, Treport, 27 July 1916; transferred to England, 28 July 1916, and admitted to 1st Southern General Hospital, King's Heath Section, Birmingham, 29 July 1916 (wound: slight); to 3rd Auxiliary Hospital, Dartford (date not recorded); discharged on furlough, 8 November 1916, to report to No. 1 Command Depot, Perham Downs, 20 November 1916. Found guilty, Dartford, 7 November 1916, of being absent without leave, 8.45-11.30 pm: awarded reduction of furlough of 96 hours. Marched out to No. 4 Command Depot, Wareham, 24 November 1916. Found guilty, Perham Downs, of being absent without leave, 3.30 pm, 20 November, to 10 pm, 21 November 1916: awarded 7 days confined to camp; forfeited 2 days pay. Proceeded overseas to France, 15 March 1917; rejoined Bn, 11 April 1917.

Admitted to 1st Australian Field Ambulance, 3 August 1917 (pyrexia, unknown origin), and transferred to New Zealand Stationary Hospital; to No. 10 General Hospital, Rouen, 5 August 1917; to England, 13 August 1917, and admitted to 2nd Southern General Hospital, Bristol, 14 August 1917 (trench feet); to 3rd Auxiliary Hospital, 18 September 1917;to No. 2 Command Depot, Weymouth, 24 September 1917;to No. 4 Command Depot, Hurdcott, 26 November 1917. Admitted to Group Clearing Hospital, 7 March 1918 (influenza); discharged to No. 4 Command Depot, 14 March 1918. Found guilty, 5 March 1918, of being absent without leave, 9 pm, 5 March, to 4.20 pm, 6 March 1918: awarded 3 days confined to barracks; forfeited 2 days pay. Marched out to Overseas Training Brigade, 13 April 1918. Found guilty of being absent without leave from Tattoo, 2 August, until surrendering to Military Police, 6 pm, 12 August 1918: awarded 168 hours detention; forfeited 17 days pay. Found guilty, Sutton Veny, of failing to obey a lawful command given to him by his Superior Officer in that he failed to give his name when ordered to by Sergeant Clarke: awarded 168 hours detention.

Admitted to 1st Australian Dermatological Hospital, Bulford, 27 August 1918 (urethritis); discharged, 3 September 1918. Admitted to 1st ADH, 2 November 1918; discharged, 25 January 1919; total period of treatment for venereal disease: 85 days. Found guilty of being absent without leave from 2150, 4 October, to 1930, 29 October 1918; period under charge: 30 October 1918 to 27 January 1919: awarded forfeiture of 129 days pay. Admitted to 1st ADH, 1 February 1919; discharged, 15 February 1919: total period of treatment for venereal disease: 15 days.

Commenced return to Australia from Devonport on board 'Armagh', 5 April 1919; disembarked Sydney, 20 May 1919; discharged, 4 July 1919.

Medals: British War Medal, Victory Medal

Print format    

© The AIF Project 2023, UNSW Canberra. Not to be reproduced without permission.