|Place of birth||London, England|
|Religion||Church of England|
|Address||Perth GPO, Perth, Western Australia|
|Age at embarkation||22|
|Next of kin||Mother, Mrs Amy Smith, 106 Brooke Street, Kennington, England|
|Previous military service||Nil|
|Place of enlistment||Perth, Western Australia|
|Rank on enlistment||Private|
|Unit name||28th Battalion, 4th Reinforcement|
|AWM Embarkation Roll number||23/45/2|
|Embarkation details||Unit embarked from Fremantle, Western Australia, on board HMAT A20 Hororata on
|Rank from Nominal Roll||Private|
|Unit from Nominal Roll||28th Battalion|
|Fate||Returned to Australia
|Date of death|
|Age at death from cemetery records||24|
|Place of burial||No known grave|
|Commemoration details||The Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial (Panel 23), Belgium
The Menin Gate Memorial (so named because the road led to the town of Menin) was constructed on the site of a gateway in the eastern walls of the old Flemish town of Ypres, Belgium, where hundreds of thousands of allied troops passed on their way to the front, the Ypres salient, the site from April 1915 to the end of the war of some of the fiercest fighting of the war.
The Memorial was conceived as a monument to the 350,000 men of the British Empire who fought in the campaign. Inside the arch, on tablets of Portland stone, are inscribed the names of 56,000 men, including 6,178 Australians, who served in the Ypres campaign and who have no known grave.
The opening of the Menin Gate Memorial on 24 July 1927 so moved the Australian artist Will Longstaff that he painted 'The Menin Gate at Midnight', which portrays a ghostly army of the dead marching past the Menin Gate. The painting now hangs in the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, at the entrance of which are two medieval stone lions presented to the Memorial by the City of Ypres in 1936.
Since the 1930s, with the brief interval of the German occupation in the Second World War, the City of Ypres has conducted a ceremony at the Memorial at dusk each evening to commemorate those who died in the Ypres campaign.
|Panel number, Roll of Honour,|
Australian War Memorial
|Miscellaneous information from|
|Parents: William and Amy SCHMIDT [SCHMITT on Nominal Roll], 51, Master Bakers' Almshouse, Lea Bridge Road, Leyton, Essex, England|
War service: taken on strength, 28th Bn, Tel el Kebir, 19 January 1916.
Proceeded from Alexandria to join the British Expeditionary Force, 16 March 1916; disembarked Marseilles, 21 March 1916.
Wounded in action, 29 July 1916 (gun shot wound, neck and shoulder); transferred from No. 1 Field Ambulance to 23rd General Hospital, Etaples, 30 July 1916; to England, 5 August 1916, and admitted to Brook War Hospital, Woolwich.. Reported to No. 1 Command Depot from furlough after discharge from hospital, 4 September 1916. Proceeded overseas to France, 25 April 1917; rejoined Bn, 2 May 1917.
Killed in action, Belgium, 20 September 1917.Medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal
|Miscellaneous details||Real name: George SCHMITT|