The AIF Project

Leonard SPRY

Regimental number8106
Place of birthKilkenny, Ireland
ReligionChurch of England
AddressEast Dedham, Massachusetts, USA
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation41
Height5' 8"
Weight195 lbs
Next of kinSister, M Plummer, East Dedham, Massachusetts, USA
Previous military serviceServed for 6 years in the US Army.
Enlistment date29 July 1915
Place of enlistmentLiverpool, New South Wales
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name2nd Australian General Hospital, Special Reinforcements
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT A17 Port Lincoln on 13 October 1915
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll2nd Australian General Hospital
FateReturned to Australia 8 November 1918
Miscellaneous information from
  cemetery records
Plaque in New South Wales Garden of Remembrance
Discharge date18 April 1919
Other details

War service: Egypt, Western Front

Taken on strength, Anzac Provost Corps, Abbassia, 3 April 1916. Transferred to 2nd Australian General Hospital, Cairo, 1 July 1916.

Proceeded from Alexandria to join the British Expeditionary Force, 29 July 1916; disembarked England (date not recorded). Proceeded overseas to France, 21 August 1916; taken on strength, 2nd Australian General Hospital, 29 August 1916.

Found guilty, 4 november 1916, of (1) being absent without leave from 8 pm to 9.30 pm. (2) Drunk & incapable of performing duty: awarded 1688 hours' Field Punishment No. 1.

Admitted to 2nd Australian General Hospital, 14 May 1917 (not yet diagnosed); transferred to England, 15 May 1917 (debility and anaemia), and admitted same day to 3rd London General Hospital, Wandsworth. Discharged on furlough, 19 May 1917, to report to No 4 Command Depot, Wareham, 4 June 1917.

Admitted to No 1 Queen Alexandra Hospital, 28 May 1917; transferred to No 1 Australian Auxiliary Hospital, Harefield, 28 May 1917; discharged to balance of furlough, 20 June 1917. Marched into No 1 command Depot, Perham Downs, 26 June 1917; marched into Army Medical Corps Training Depot, Parkhouse, 30 June 1917. Transferred to 17th Field Ambulance, 6 July 1917; attached to 1st Australian Dermatological Hospital, Bulford, for duty, 4 October 1917; marched out to AMC Training Depot, Parkhouse, on disbandment of 17th Field Ambulance, 25 October 1917.

Proceeded overseas to France, 28 November 1917; taken on strength, 2nd Australian General Hospital, Wimereux, 12 January 1918. Admitted sick to 2AGH,26 March 1918 (not yey diagnosed); discharged to duty, 15 April 1918 (no further details recorded). To hospital, 13 June 1918 (pyrexia unknown origin); rejoined unit, 21 June 1918.

Admitted to hospital, 10 August 1918; transferred by Ambulance Train and then by HS 'St Denis' to England, 24 August 1918, and admitted to 1st Southern General Hospital, 24 August 1918 (pleurisy and pneumonia); discharged on furlough, 5 September 1918, to report to No 4 Command Depot, 19 September 1918. Admitted to No 1 Australian Auxiliatry Hospital, Harefield, 19 September 1918; discharged, 29 September 1918, to report to No 2 Command Depot, Weymouth, 4 October 1918.

Commenced return to Australia on board HT 'Gaika' for discharge (fibrosis of lungs), 8 November 1918; disembarked Melbourne, 29 December 1918, for onward travel to Sydney; discharged (medically unfit), Sydney, 18 April 1919.

Medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal
Date of death4 September 1922

Print format