Alfred Joseph John WELSH

Regimental number3551
Place of birthSouth Grafton, New South Wales
ReligionChurch of England
AddressWharf Street, South Grafton, New South Wales
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation33
Height5' 11"
Weight139 lbs
Next of kinMother, Mrs E L Edwards, Alli Poole, South Grafton, New South Wales
Previous military serviceNil
Enlistment date2 September 1915
Place of enlistmentBrisbane, Queensland
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name26th Battalion, 8th Reinforcement
AWM Embarkation Roll number23/43/2
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Brisbane, Queensland, on board HMAT A55 Kyarra on 3 January 1916
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll31st Battalion
FateKilled in Action 20 July 1916
Place of burialNo known grave
Commemoration detailsV.C. Corner (No 4), Australian Cemetery, France.
Panel number, Roll of Honour,
  Australian War Memorial
Other details

War service: Egypt, Western Front

Taken on strength of 31st Bn, Duntroon Plateau, 6 April 1916.

Admitted to No 8 Field Ambulance, Ferry Post, 23 May 1916 (haemorrhoids); discharged to, and rejoined unit, Ferry Post, 25 May 1916.

Embarked Alexandria to join the British Expeditionary Force, 16 June 1916; disembarked Marseilles, France, 23 June 1916.

Found guilty, 30 June 1916, of being absent from Tattoo Roll Call, 29 June 1916: awarded 3 days' confined to barracks and extra fatigues.

Wounded in action, 20 July 1916.

Previous report of missing now, 28 July 1916, to be reported as 'Missing, 20 July 1916'.

Court of Enquiry, held in the field, 20 July 1916, pronounced fate as 'Killed in Action, 20 July 1916'.

Statement, Red Cross File No 2900412, 3516 Pte D.H. McINTOSH, 31st Bn, 16 March 1917: 'He was in a shell hole with Pts Taggart and De Medici of 3rd Section Pltn. 13 of D. Co., who told him to come out but he refused thinking himself safer to remain. Nothing more was heard of him. It is just possible he was taken prisoner.'

Second statement, 3545 Pte G. STRAIN, D Company, 31st Bn, 10 May 1917: 'I knew Welsh well. We were in the "Stunt" at Fleur Baix (sic) on July 19th., '16, and he was near me as we went over. I saw a shell explode, and then he fell. Coming back several hours later, I saw him still lying in No Man's land (sic), and on examining him, found he was dead. I cannot say if he was buried, but do not think it likely.'

Third statement, 155 Pte R.A. BULMER, A Company, 31st Bn, 6 June 1917: 'He was taken a prisoner in July and died in the hands of the Germans on the 23rd Nov. 1916.'
SourcesNAA: B2455, WELSH Alfred Joseph John
Red Cross file 2900412