The AIF Project

Norman ACTON

Regimental number152
Date of birth1894
Place of birthGunning, New South Wales
ReligionChurch of England
Address285 Liverpool Street, Darlinghurst, Sydney, New South Wales
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation23
Height5' 5"
Weight130 lbs
Next of kinFriend, Miss A Goodall, 285 Liverpool Street, Darlinghurst, Sydney, New South Wales
Previous military serviceNil
Enlistment date8 March 1915
Place of enlistmentLiverpool, New South Wales
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name20th Battalion, A Company
AWM Embarkation Roll number23/37/1
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT A35 Berrima on 25 June 1915
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll20th Battalion
Recommendations (Medals and Awards)

Distinguished Conduct Medal

For showing great courage and initiative as Company scout at Hanebeke Wood on 20 September 1917, when he single-handed approached an enemy dugout and caused eight of them to surrender.
Recommendation date: 25 September 1917

FateReturned to Australia 15 September 1918
Miscellaneous information from
  cemetery records
Photo: Peter Dennis

Distinguished Conduct Medal

'For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. This man, acting as company scout, throughout the whole day showed great courage and initiative. He single handed approached an enemy dug out, caused eight of them to surrender, and captured a machine gun. He set a fine example to those near him.'
Source: 'Commonwealth Gazette' No. 95
Date: 27 June 1918

Discharge date4 December 1918
Other details

War service: Egypt, Gallipoli, Western Front

Rejoined 20th Bn from Transport Section, Tel el Kebir, 14 January 1916.

Embarked Alexandria to join the British Expeditionary Force, 18 March 1916; disembarked Marseilles, France, 25 March 1916.

Found guilty, 10 May 1916, of (1) drunkenness (2) conduct to the prejudice of good order and military discipline: awarded 14 days' Field Punishment No 2.

Admitted to Field Ambulance, 5 June 1916 (scabies); transferred to British Isolation Hospital, Baillent, 6 June 1916; transferred to Northumbrian Casualty Clearing Station, 7 June 1916; discharged to duty, 12 June 1916.

Admitted to 7th Australian Field Ambulance, 22 May 1916 (scabies); transferred to British Isolation Hospital, Baillent, 23 June 1916; rejoined unit, 30 June 1916.

Appointed Lance Corporal, Belgium, 13 September 1916.

Admitted to 5th Australian Field Ambulance, 18 September 1918 (diarrhoea); transferred to 2nd Australian Division Rest Station, 23 September 1916; rejoined unit, 25 September 1916.

Found guilty by Field General Court Martial, 26 December 1916, of when on Active Service striking his superior officer, 9 December 1916: reduced to the Ranks.

Admitted to 5th Australian Field Ambulance, 22 March 1917 (influenza); transferred 2nd Division Rest Station, 23 March 1917; to 1/1 South Midland Casualty Clearing Station, 25 March 1917; to Ambulance Train, 27 March 1917; to 9th General Hospital, Rouen, 28 March 1917; to 2nd Convalescent Depot, Rouen, 14 April 1917; to 2nd Australian Division Base Depot, Etaples, 7 May 1917; rejoined unit, 3 June 1917.

Wounded in action, 20 September 1917 (shrapnel wound, left leg and groin); admitted to 6th Australian Field Ambulance, 21 September 1917, and transferred same day to 10th Casualty Clearing Station and thence to Ambulance Train No 10; admitted to 47th General Hospital, 22 September 1917; transferred to England, 25 September 1917, and admitted to Alexandria Hospital, Cosham, 26 September 1917. Transferred to 3rd Australian Auxiliary Hospital, Dartford, 9 October 1917; discharged on furlough, 13 October 1917, to report to No 2 Command Depot, Weymouth, 27 October 1917.

Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal, 14 October 1917.

Found guilty, 30 October 1917, of at Weymouth being absent without leave, 6 pm, 27 October, to 4.30 pm, 29 October 1917: awarded 10 days' confined to barracks and forfeited 3 days' pay.

Found guilty, of at Westham, 9 March 1918, neglect of duty in that he whilst RM Police failed to prevent gambling in the camp: awarded 7 days' Field Punishment No 2.

Marched in to No 4 Command Depot, Hurdcott, 14 March 1918. Admitted to Fovant Military Hospital, 2 April 1918 (gun shot wound, left leg); discharged to Training Depot, 29 April 1918. Marched in to No 3 Command Depot, Hurdcott, 29 April 1918. Admitted to Brigade Hospital, 8 May 1918; to No 3 Command Depot, Hurdcott, from hospital, 4 June 1918.

Marched in to No 2 Command Depot, Weymouth, 14 June 1918.

Found guilty, 4 July 1918, of conduct to the prejudice of good order and military discipline i.e. whilst a patient in hospital wearing khaki: forfeited 4 days' pay.

Found guilty, 1 August 1918, of neglecting to obey Routine Order in that he was found in Weymouth at 10.20 pm, 30 July 1918, without a pass from his CO: awarded 7 days' confined to barracks.

Commenced return to Australia on board HT 'Arawa', 15 September 1918; disembarked Melbourne, 17 November 1918, for onward travel overland to Sydney; discharged (medically unfit), Sydney, 4 December 1918.

Medals: Distinguished Conduct Medal, 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal
Date of death1978
Age at death60
Place of burialBundanoon Cemetery, New South Wales
SourcesNAA: B2455, ACTON Norman

Print format    

© The AIF Project 2024, UNSW Canberra. Not to be reproduced without permission.