The AIF Project

Harry Mercer ECCLES

Regimental number6599
Place of birthHardhill, Scotland
ReligionChurch of England
OccupationProcess engraver
Address74 Curtis Road, Balmain, Sydney, New South Wales
Marital statusMarried
Age at embarkation26
Height5' 5"
Weight140 lbs
Next of kinWife, Mrs M. Eccles, 74 Curtis Road, Balmain, Sydney, New South Wales
Previous military serviceNil
Enlistment date22 May 1916
Place of enlistmentSydney, New South Wales
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name1st Battalion, 21st Reinforcement
AWM Embarkation Roll number23/18/4
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT A40 Ceramic on 7 October 1916
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll1st Battalion
FateDied of disease 21 October 1918
Place of death or woundingFrance
Age at death29
Place of burialAbbeville Communal Cemetery Extension (Plot IV, Row H, Grave No. 23), France
Panel number, Roll of Honour,
  Australian War Memorial
Miscellaneous information from
  cemetery records
Parents: James and Annie ECCLES; husband of Maggie ECCLES, 74 Curtis Road, Balmain, Sydney. Native of Scotland
Other details

War service: Western Front

Embarked Sydney, 7 October 1916; disembarked Plymouth, England, 21 November 1916.

Marched into 1st Training Bn, Larkhill, 11 December 1916.

Proceeded overseas to France, 15 March 1917; marched into 1st Australian Divisional Base Depot, 16 March 1917.

Proceeded to unit, 4 April 1917; taken on strength of 1st Bn, in the field, 11 April 1917.

Wounded in action, 5 May 1917; admitted to No 3 Casualty Clearing Station, 5 May 1917, and transferred to No 12 General Hospital, Rouen, the same day (shrapnel wound, right arm); to England, 14 May 1917; to No 2 Southern General Hospital, Bristol, 15 May 1917; to No 3 Australian Auxiliary Hospital, Dartford, 8 June 1917; discharged to furlough, 13 June 1917, and to report to No 1 Command Depot, 27 June 1917.

Posted as absent without leave, 27 June 1917.

Declared as illegally absent, 20 July 1917.

Tried by District Court Martial, 11 February 1918, on a charge of while on active service, deserting His Majesty's service from 27 June 1917, until apprehended at Stevenson, 17 January 1918; found Guilty: Sentenced to 2 years' detention; sentence confirmed by Hon. Sir J.W. McCay, General Officer Commanding A.I.F. Depots in United Kingdom.

Marched out of No 1 Command Depot, 25 February 1918, and admitted to Lewes Detention Barracks the same day.

Discharged from Lewes Detention Barracks, 1 October 1918; marched into Overseas Training Bde, Longbridge Deverill, 2 October 1918.

Unexpired portion of sentence (494 days) remitted, 4 October 1918.

Proceeded overseas to France, 4 October 1918; marched into Australian Intermediate Base Depot, Le Havre, 6 October 1918.

Found guilty, 9 October 1918, of while of active service (1) being absent without leave from 2130 hours, until 2200 hours, 7 October 1918; (2) being in town without a pass; (3) improperly dressed: award, deprived of 14 days' pay.

Rejoined 1st Bn, 11 October 1918.

Admitted to No 1 Australian Field Ambulance, 12 October 1918, and transferred to No 1 Australian Field Ambulance Rest Station the same day (not yet diagnosed, pains in head); to No 3 Australian Field Ambulance, Abbeville, 13 October 1918.

Died, No 3 Australian General Hospital, 21 October 1918 (broncho pneumonia due to exposure).

Medals: British War Medal, Victory Medal
SourcesNAA: B2455, ECCLES Harry Mercer

Print format    

© The AIF Project 2024, UNSW Canberra. Not to be reproduced without permission.