|Place of birth||Lewisham, New South Wales|
|School||Petersham Public School, New South Wales|
|Address||Kingwall, 92 Denison Road, Lewisham, Sydney, New South Wales|
|Age at embarkation||20|
|Next of kin||Father, William Morrison, 92 Denison Road, Lewisham, Sydney, New South Wales|
|Rank on enlistment||Private|
|Unit name||3rd Battalion, 7th Reinforcement|
|AWM Embarkation Roll number||23/20/2|
|Embarkation details||Unit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT A67 Orsova on
|Rank from Nominal Roll||Private|
|Recommendations (Medals and Awards)||
'Courage and skill and coolness under fire, mmaterially assisting in the capture of the enemy's position.'(Demicourt 9 April 1917).
|Other details from Roll of Honour Circular||Awarded Military Medal and spent four months at Gallipoli being amongst the last to leave at the evacuations. Went to France with first batch of Australians and was in all engagements, including Pozieres, without being wounded until time of his death.|
|Place of death or wounding||Glencorse Wood, Ypres, Belgium|
|Age at death||23.3|
|Age at death from cemetery records||23|
|Place of burial||No known grave|
|Commemoration details||The Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial (Panel 31), Belgium
The Menin Gate Memorial (so named because the road led to the town of Menin) was constructed on the site of a gateway in the eastern walls of the old Flemish town of Ypres, Belgium, where hundreds of thousands of allied troops passed on their way to the front, the Ypres salient, the site from April 1915 to the end of the war of some of the fiercest fighting of the war.
The Memorial was conceived as a monument to the 350,000 men of the British Empire who fought in the campaign. Inside the arch, on tablets of Portland stone, are inscribed the names of 56,000 men, including 6,178 Australians, who served in the Ypres campaign and who have no known grave.
The opening of the Menin Gate Memorial on 24 July 1927 so moved the Australian artist Will Longstaff that he painted 'The Menin Gate at Midnight', which portrays a ghostly army of the dead marching past the Menin Gate. The painting now hangs in the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, at the entrance of which are two medieval stone lions presented to the Memorial by the City of Ypres in 1936.
Since the 1930s, with the brief interval of the German occupation in the Second World War, the City of Ypres has conducted a ceremony at the Memorial at dusk each evening to commemorate those who died in the Ypres campaign.
|Panel number, Roll of Honour,|
Australian War Memorial
|Miscellaneous information from|
|Parents: William and Annie MORRISON, 92 Dewson Road, Lewisham, Sydney|
Source: 'Commonwealth Gazette' No. 174