|Place of birth||Geelong, Victoria|
|School||St Marys (Catholic) Primary School, Victoria|
|Address||85 Little Myers Street, East Geelong, Victoria|
|Age at embarkation||18|
|Next of kin||Mother, Mrs K. Mullen, 85 Little Myers Street, East Geelong, Victoria|
|Previous military service||Served in the Cadets.|
|Date of enlistment from Nominal Roll|
|Rank on enlistment||Private|
|Unit name||5th Battalion, 6th Reinforcement|
|AWM Embarkation Roll number||23/22/2|
|Embarkation details||Unit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT A40 Ceramic on
|Rank from Nominal Roll||Private|
|Unit from Nominal Roll||5th Divisional Signal Company|
|Fate||Killed in Action
|Place of death or wounding||Ypres, Belgium|
|Age at death||20|
|Age at death from cemetery records||20|
|Place of burial||No known grave|
|Commemoration details||The Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial (Panel 7), Belgium
The Menin Gate Memorial (so named because the road led to the town of Menin) was constructed on the site of a gateway in the eastern walls of the old Flemish town of Ypres, Belgium, where hundreds of thousands of allied troops passed on their way to the front, the Ypres salient, the site from April 1915 to the end of the war of some of the fiercest fighting of the war.
The Memorial was conceived as a monument to the 350,000 men of the British Empire who fought in the campaign. Inside the arch, on tablets of Portland stone, are inscribed the names of 56,000 men, including 6,178 Australians, who served in the Ypres campaign and who have no known grave.
The opening of the Menin Gate Memorial on 24 July 1927 so moved the Australian artist Will Longstaff that he painted 'The Menin Gate at Midnight', which portrays a ghostly army of the dead marching past the Menin Gate. The painting now hangs in the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, at the entrance of which are two medieval stone lions presented to the Memorial by the City of Ypres in 1936.
Since the 1930s, with the brief interval of the German occupation in the Second World War, the City of Ypres has conducted a ceremony at the Memorial at dusk each evening to commemorate those who died in the Ypres campaign.
|Panel number, Roll of Honour,|
Australian War Memorial
|Miscellaneous information from|
|Parents: Edward and Katherine MULLEN, 85 Little Myers Street, Geelong, Victoria|
Australian Graves Services, London, wrote to Base Records, 1 February 1922: 'The above named soldiers [including E.V. MULLEN] were originally reported to have been buried at Cable Head I In the course of operations Exhumation Parties working over thatarea were unable to identify the graves of the five soldiers mentioned and as the bodies found in the neighborhood of able Head] were re-interred in eleven different cemeteries it was quite out of the question to erect Special Crosses for those five other ranks.'