The AIF Project


Regimental number108
Place of birthWest Maitland, New South Wales
ReligionChurch of England
OccupationLoco fireman Govt railways
Address14 Albion Street, West Maitland, New South Wales
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation23
Height6' 0"
Weight158 lbs
Next of kinMother, Mrs M Vickery, 14 Albion Street, West Maitland, New South Wales
Previous military serviceServed for 2 years 7 months in the 4th Australian Infantry Regiment, Citizen Military Forces; resigned.
Enlistment date19 August 1914
Place of enlistmentRandwick, New South Wales
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name2nd Battalion, A Company
AWM Embarkation Roll number23/19/1
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT A23 Suffolk on 18 October 1914
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll2nd Battalion
FateKilled in Action 2 May 1915
Date of death2 May 1915
Place of burialNo known grave
Commemoration detailsThe Lone Pine Memorial (Panel 19), Gallipoli, Turkey

The Lone Pine Memorial, situated in the Lone Pine Cemetery at Anzac, is the main Australian Memorial on Gallipoli, and one of four memorials to men of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force. Designed by Sir John Burnet, the principal architect of the Gallipoli cemeteries, it is a thick tapering pylon 14.3 metres high on a square base 12.98 metres wide. It is constructed from limestone mined at Ilgardere in Turkey.

The Memorial commemorates the 3268 Australians and 456 New Zealanders who have no known grave and the 960 Australians and 252 New Zealanders who were buried at sea after evacuation through wounds or disease. The names of New Zealanders commemorated are inscribed on stone panels mounted on the south and north sides of the pylon, while those of the Australians are listed on a long wall of panels in front of the pylon and to either side. Names are arranged by unit and rank.

The Memorial stands over the centre of the Turkish trenches and tunnels which were the scene of heavy fighting during the August offensive. Most cemeteries on Gallipoli contain relatively few marked graves, and the majority of Australians killed on Gallipoli are commemorated here.

Panel number, Roll of Honour,
  Australian War Memorial
Other details

War service: Egypt, Gallipoli

Embarked Alexandria, 5 April 1915, to join the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, Gallipoli.

Reported wounded, Gaba Tepe, 2 May 1915; then reported wounded and missing. 2 May 1915.

Couret of Enquiry, held at sea on board HT Z23, 24 March 1916, declared fate to be 'killed in action, 2 May 1915'.

Report, Alexandria, 17 July 1917: 'No trace Grave Site'.

Statement, Red Cross File No 2820209N, 86 Pte H.W. O'CONNOR, D Company, 2nd Bn (patient, 4th Australian General Hospital, Randwick, NSW), 7 March 1916: 'About 3 o'clock in the afternoon of 25th April informant saw and spoke to Vickery just after he had been shot in the head and right arm.This was in advance of our trenches at Lone Pine. He staggered along making his way to the beach but at the time informant spoke to him he was on ground that was shortly afterwards occupied by the Turks. From his condition informant believes it possible that Vickery soon fell and as his body was never recovered it was possible for him to have been made prisoner by the Turks.'

Second statement, 530 Pte W. SLATER, 30th Bn (patient, 4th Australian General Hospital, Randwick, NSW), 15 June 1916: 'Informant was an old friend of vickery's, and made it his business in Egypt to find out what had happened to him. Pte. J. Ryan, 2nd Battalion, told Informant that he had seen Vickery wounded in the head, probably in August. He was then lying on the ground that was afterwards re-taken by the Turks. Ryan is now in the Depot Battalion, Broadmeadows Camp, Newcastle.'

Third statement, 122 Pte A.C. WILDON, D Company, 2nd Bn (patient, 18th General Hospital, Etaples, France), 21 October 1916: 'I knew Vickery; he was in D. [Company] XVI. [Platoon] and his No. was 108, and I saw him wounded in the arm on the first day 25.4.15 about midday we were well up on the hill, which I believe was afterwards called 971. We could never find out what eventually happened to him. I saw in the paper first that he was missing and then that he was killed in the British Australasian not so long ago, but I am sure it was that he was killed and I wondered how they had found out. He worked on the Railway and came from Newcastle.'

Medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal
SourcesNAA: B2455, VICKERY Clive
Red Cross File No 2820209N

Print format    

© The AIF Project 2024, UNSW Canberra. Not to be reproduced without permission.