|Place of birth||Melbourne, Victoria|
|Religion||Church of England|
|Address||Fortune Street, Rutherglen, Victoria|
|Age at embarkation||23|
|Next of kin||Mrs M Waugh, Fortune Street, Rutherglen, Victoria|
|Rank on enlistment||Shoeing Smith|
|Unit name||4th Light Horse Regiment, B Squadron|
|AWM Embarkation Roll number||10/9/1|
|Embarkation details||Unit embarked from Melbourne, Victoria, on board Transport A18 Wiltshire on
|Rank from Nominal Roll||Private|
|Unit from Nominal Roll||2nd Light Horse Regiment|
|Fate||Killed in Action
|Place of burial||No known grave|
|Commemoration details||The Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial (Panel 7), Belgium
The Menin Gate Memorial (so named because the road led to the town of Menin) was constructed on the site of a gateway in the eastern walls of the old Flemish town of Ypres, Belgium, where hundreds of thousands of allied troops passed on their way to the front, the Ypres salient, the site from April 1915 to the end of the war of some of the fiercest fighting of the war.
The Memorial was conceived as a monument to the 350,000 men of the British Empire who fought in the campaign. Inside the arch, on tablets of Portland stone, are inscribed the names of 56,000 men, including 6,178 Australians, who served in the Ypres campaign and who have no known grave.
The opening of the Menin Gate Memorial on 24 July 1927 so moved the Australian artist Will Longstaff that he painted 'The Menin Gate at Midnight', which portrays a ghostly army of the dead marching past the Menin Gate. The painting now hangs in the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, at the entrance of which are two medieval stone lions presented to the Memorial by the City of Ypres in 1936.
Since the 1930s, with the brief interval of the German occupation in the Second World War, the City of Ypres has conducted a ceremony at the Memorial at dusk each evening to commemorate those who died in the Ypres campaign.
|Panel number, Roll of Honour,|
Australian War Memorial
War service: rejoined 4th Light Horse Regiment, Heliopolis, 2 January 1916. Admitted to No. 1 Australian General Hospital, 24 January 1916 (haemoptysis); discharged, 4 February 1916.
Proceeded from Alexandria to join the British Expeditionary Force, 21 March 1916; disembarked Marseilles, 27 March 1916. Taken on strength, 1st Anzac Mounted Regiment, 13 May 1916; transferred to 2nd Anzac Mounted Regiment, 7 July 1916. On leave in France, 3 December 1916; returned from leave, 16 December 1916.
Admitted to 2nd New Zealand Field Ambulance, 7 January 1917 (urethritis); transferred to 1st Convalescent Depot, 12 January 1917 (venereal disease); to 51st General Hospital, Etaples, 14 January 1917; discharged to Australian General Base Depot, 22 February 1917; to Segregation Camp, 27 February 1917; rejoined 2nd Anzac Mounted Regiment, 6 April 1917.
Killed in action, 7 June 1917.Medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal